Sunday, August 17, 2008

Nizwa Rocks!

What can I say, it does. Here's a link to get you started. We only had about 1.5 hours at the fort, and that is not nearly enough. I mean, this isn't one of those forts where you can rush through it in 15 minutes - this is a FORT. It's been restored and you can wander all over and there's an exhibit hall and a bunch of exhibit rooms too. I rushed through it and only saw about 60% of what was there. I could easily have spent half a day there, maybe even all day to do a thorough examination. Also, a lot of the tourists at the fort were Omani.

The souq is nice too. I was worried the town might be too touristy, but it wasn't. I did see more white people than I have this entire trip, though. And when I bought a mango juice box the Indian clerk told me "merci beaucoup." Of course, how many people are stupid enough to go to Nizwa in the middle of August?!? It was hot. Nizwa and the Rub al-Khali are the only two places I have been where I sweated into my eyes and the salt from my sweat actually burned them. But the souq - it was nice. Not one of those mazes, but a big open place with air-conditioned stores. Nice silver and copper. I didn't spot the vegetable souq or the meat souq until we were leaving, so I don't have photos of the inside of them. I took a peek and the meat souq looked as big as the Harps on Wedington.

Anyway, that's the Nizwa update. I had to shower after that trip and I'm preparing for my 31 hour trip home. Argh! See y'all soon!

No comments: