Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 2: Home again, home again

We started walking towards Notre Dame, and I flagged down a taxi.  We've been having good luck on that front.  This guy didn't speak much English, but I knew enough French to get us home.  We had originally thought we'd walk back from Bercy Stadium.  The taxi took us there, then around the side, and dropped us at the hotel with the same name over there.  Which saved us some walking.  Mom's knee was getting sore and my ankles hurt. 

So we get out and at least it was shorter back to our hotel.  We had almost taken the taxi all the way to our hotel, and maybe we should have.  We made it to the market, and got some drinks, and eventually made it home.  We were pretty wiped out.  By this point, it's about 9pm.  We got some ice from the hotel restaurant (no ice machines here) and got to our room and got comfy.  I promptly passed out and woke up a little after midnight.  Mom woke up then too.

So I was sitting here typing up today's events, when we hear a loud squeaking noise.  We're on the 2nd floor (in the US numbering system) and our window opens.  Below our window is a roof overhanging the sidewalk, so you don't get rained on.  Also, our window has a chain lock on it.  Apparently the people next door were opening their window and it was really squeaky.

I continue typing, and there's a knock on our door.  I answer, and no one is there.  We assumed it was the people next door getting the rooms mixed up.  Bear in mind, it's now about 2am.  There's more squeaking, so I look out our window.  I'm very surprised to see a man outside the window next door, smoking a cigarette.  On top of the curved metal roof.  He seemed surprised to see me too.  I closed our window until he was done, because we were starting to smell the smoke.  And so ends our Day 2 adventures!

No comments: