Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 2: Delta Still Sucks

So, we sit around and finally our plane starts boarding.  It started out fairly well.  A young couple came up behind us and asked us what zone was boarding.  We told them and then the guy asked where we were going.  I told him and he said "Slovenia!  I love Slovenia!"  He started giving me tips and pointers from their trip there last year, and I knew most of the places he was talking about.  Meanwhile, Frank and the girlfriend are giving each other glances, like "I'm traveling with a crazy, obsessive person."  We talked all the way up to the airplane and then exchanged cards.

The seats were okay.  I had a window, and Frank had the aisle, on the row in front of me, so the nice lady next to me agreed to switch seats with him.  Then we got comfy and started watching movies.

I was in the middle of my first movie when the food was brought around.  "What was it?" you ask.  "Was it a choice of Chicken fricassee with cream sauce, mashed potatoes, and carrots or Penne pasta with salmon and creamed leeks?  With sides of Quinoa salad with corn and black beans, Cheese wedge (Brie), Fruit compote, Coconut cake, Bread, and a small water?"  Or perhaps it was "Chicken with lemon sauce, bulgur wheat, and vegetables OR Florentine 4-cheese tortellini, goat cheese, and tomato.  With sides of tomatoes and zucchini, Camembert cheese, cherry tomatoes, bread, and chocolate mousse?"  Like on my last transatlantic flights?  No, it wasn't that, because I'm flying fucking Delta and they Suck.

We had a choice of beef, pasta, or shrimp salad.  I took the beef, because I needed protein, and I've seen the movie Airplane too many times.  Frank took the shrimp salad.  My beef was basically small, sometimes tenderized, pieces of stew meat with maybe turnips or parsnips or both.  It wasn't potatoes.  There was an iceberg salad with 3 cucumbers and ranch dressing - blech!  A piece of bread that was okay, but nothing special.  And butter and some crackers.

The shrimp salad looked better.  It was 4 shrimp on a salad, with a tiny bottle of olive oil vinaigrette.  The same bread and butter, but a "side salad" of kiwi, grapes, etc.  Cheese, and a brownie.  My lovely husband took pity on me and gave me the brownie!  It wasn't bad.

After that, I started watching another movie, but only made it through about 30 minutes before I had to pause it and I passed out.  I was wiped.

I woke up about 90 minutes from Paris.  They decided to bring us breakfast.  Because on the east coast, it was about breakfast time.  Never mind that it was lunch time in Europe.  The foreign airlines always serve food for the time zone you're going to.  But I guess Delta can't do that because 'Murica!

Breakfast was a disappointment as well.  It was a tiny, hot croissant, shmushed, with a tiny omelet inside it.  It didn't taste bad, but it was maybe 2" in diameter.  There was a pack of tiny "bruschetta" pieces and some kind of cheese spread, an orange juice, and a granola bar. Oh, and a mint.

They came around with drinks after that, so I got tea.  It was so bitter and nasty I had to add 2 packs of sugar to it, to make it drinkable, and I still couldn't finish it.  It is not that hard to make tea, people!  The Brit do it several times a day!

By now, Frank has gotten a small migraine.  So after we land, we wait for almost everyone to get off and then make our way through customs and to the baggage claim.  Where we wait.  And wait.  Until the belt stops.  No bag.  So we go to the Baggage Desk.  The Delta guy in Atlanta had told me that he was sending my bag to Paris, and I could collect it there and then re-check it the next day for the flight to Slovenia.  Apparently, that wasn't what happened.  My bag made it to Paris, and since I had a continuing flight, it was put in the transit section to get put on my plane tomorrow.  So, no shower and new clothes for me!

We're walking to the hotel shuttles and stop for a restroom break.  This next section may be too gross for some people.  I've been PMSy, so I was expecting to start my period soon.  Apparently, I started it before the plane landed, and bled through my underwear and onto my khaki pants.  So now I'm stuck in Paris with bloody pants and sweaty clothes.  Luckily I carry a change of underwear with me on flights.  I know this technically isn't Delta's fault, but the lack of clothing is, so I'm blaming them.  Fuck you Delta!  I hope I bled on your seat.

We finally get outside and wait on the shuttle bus.  That only took about 15 minutes.  Another 15 and we're at our hotel.  Everything goes great, we get up to our room, and it's hot as hell.  I guess the ACs are off until you check into your room.  So we've had the AC on for over and hour and it's just starting to cool off.  I went to the pub and grabbed a sandwich, which was really good!  And I paid 4 euros for a freaking coke, but I wanted something sweet and cold.

Frank is napping and I'm typing, then I'm going to try and clean my clothes off and let them dry before we leave in the morning.  Wish me luck!

Oh yeah, one more thing.  Delta sucks!!!
#DeltaSucks

No comments: