Sunday, May 17, 2015

Day 8: Our last hurrah

So, it's our last day in Ljubljana :(  We're taking it easy and packing things up.  We left the apartment about 10 am to head towards a good restaurant we'd looked up:  Sokol.  We got there about 10:20 and the church bells across the street were ringing, so we headed inside.

Inside looked kind of like what you'd think a German restaurant would look like, with lots of wood, and the light fixtures were clay pots hanging from thick rope.







I got a Coke and Frank got a house beer, then we settled down to the menu.  My goodness, there were a lot of choices!  Frank decided to get an appetizer, but I wanted a dessert, so I didn't.  He got the Mushroom Soup in Bread Bowl.



It tasted amazing!  And there were at least 6 different types of mushrooms in there, including fungus.




Frank got the Country Feast for lunch.  It had sausage, black pudding, "bacon," roast pork, dried pork chop, sauerkraut, pickled turnip, buckwheat mush, and bread dumpling.  He made a mighty dent in his meal and finished all the meats!




I got the Venison Goulash in Bread Bowl.  Mine was in a rye bread bowl and it was delicious!  I could only eat about half, though, because I got full.  This bowl was shorter than the mushroom soup, but a lot bigger around.



Sorry for the crappy picture.  This was my dessert - Gibanica.  It has become my nemesis.  As I type this, it is sitting next to me, staring me down, daring me to eat more of it. Frank was so full he refused to help me, so the Gibanica followed us home and may even be here tomorrow.


After that, we walked back via the flea market and took a nap.  Now it's time to pack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That mushroom soup!!!! Great post!