Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 9: Heading Home

We had to leave at 5 am to get to the airport for our flight.  This one was Adria Air, I think that's the Slovenian airlines.  I somehow managed to set off the metal detector.  I'm guessing it was all the metal in my bra.  That's all I had.  The plane ran about 15 minutes late, but that wasn't bad. The plane itself was one of those small ones, but it had plenty of legroom and room for our bags under the seat.

So, we got to Munich, and then had to take a bus to the terminal.  We were in Terminal 2 (I think) and needed Terminal 1.  The airport dude told me I could wait for the bus (about 15 minutes) or just walk it in 10 minutes.  My feet felt okay, so we walked it.

Apparently, "walking it" meant leaving the security area.  Because there was no other way that we could find to get between terminals in the secured area.  Unless the bus did that.

So we walked and walked.  There were some amazing looking restaurants along the way!  We finally got to the terminal and the Delta counter was right there, so we went there.  And the woman was like "Why did you come here if your luggage is already booked?"  We said we were told to come here for our boarding passes, which is what the Adria guy had told us in Slovenia.

Then she had to ask us a lot of questions like "Who packed your bags?  When were they packed?  Has they been out of your possession?  Did anyone ask you to carry anything?"  Etc.  I hadn't heard those in forever.  In the US the airports play messages over and over telling you to keep track of your bags and stuff like that.

We finally got through our next security and then to our gate.  This section was really a crappy little section of the airport with 1 cafe and 2 stores.  The women's bathroom was up here, but Frank had to follow a bunch of signs downstairs and through several hallways to get to the men's room.  Weird.  And when I bought water and candy at the store, they had to scan my passport.  Maybe for customs, like Duty Free?  I'm still not sure why.

When we went to board, it was more questions.  I was kind of confused.  The woman asked me if I'd bought anything.  I said yes, I bought water at the store.  Then she asked if I'd received anything.  I said, yes, the water I bought.  I really hate questions like that, because I feel like they're supposed to be easy questions but I'm just not getting it.  Am I thinking too much about them?

The flight back was on a 767, which mom hates, and I now understand why.  The seats were small.  Our bags barely fit under the seats, too.  They fit fine on the tiny aircraft, but not the 767?  The only thing good about this flight was the food.  The flight attendants were nice, and I'm guessing since the only food source was Europe, they couldn't give us crappy food.  We got several snacks.  The main meal I had was chicken with rice and peppers in a nice sauce.  The cheesy salad came with an olive oil-balsamic dressing.  And they had bread and cheese.

They had fewer movies, which meant I couldn't finish watching the Lupin the Third movie I'd fallen asleep during on the flight out.  Crap.

We got to Atlanta, and started the whole customs process.  It's all electronic now and went fairly fast.  Then I got some Chick-fil-a.  Then we headed to our gate to eat and relax.

So, our flight was delayed 17 minutes.  Then another 5 minutes or so.  It gets here, we get on it, and head out to take off.  But we can't take off.  There's bad weather to the north.  We're taking off to the east, but some of the planes in front of us in the line are taking off to the north.  So we have to wait.  And wait.  I slept through most of this, until Frank poked me when the stewardess brought around snacks.  Then back to sleep.  Apparently we spent an hour in line.  I didn't wake up until we were landing at XNA.

So, we're home, the dogs are home, and it's all good!  I'll try to get pictures up later.


No comments: