Saturday, October 12, 2019

Indian food!

Well, I had Indian food for lunch, and it almost killed me - in a good way!
I saw this place last night, after supper. It's called Punjabi, and it's about a block off the beach.

At lunch today I wandered over to see what they had.  I stopped at the sign and the waiter came over to me, speaking English.  It looked good, so I decided to eat there.

First course was papadams, with 3 different sauces/chutneys.  I asked if I could get naan instead of the papadams, but he decided I should get both.  Next was a little tidbits tray.  A piece of tandoori chicken, a piece of what looked like tempura chicken, and what looked like the filling for a samosa, in a flat shape with a crust.  

The waiter saw I hadn't really tried the chutneys, so he said I should try them all together.  He scooped a little of each onto my plate and mixed them all up.  I dunked the samasa-oid in it and it was pretty good!  Mint, a little sweet, a little hot.

Next was my main dish.  You had the choice of chicken, prawns, or lamb.  Anyone who knows me knows which one I had!  I got the King Prawn Curry! After I finished my tidbits, the waiter brought out a little bitty bowl of the curry for me to try, in case it was too hot or not spicy enough.  It was just right.

Then the prawns came out in a little metal pot on top of a heating element (I think), with an oval bowl of basmati, and 2 pieces of plain naan.  There were 8 prawns in there (yes, I counted, I'm a weirdo), and they weren't little shrimpy things.  I cut them in half for my curry.  There was also a lot of onions and some other stuff.  There was a hint of sweetness too, which I liked.

So I stuffed myself with curry and dunked my naan in it, too.  I sat for a while, then I finished my water and asked for the bill.  The waiter asked if I wanted coffee or ice cream.  I had totally forgotten about that!  So I had some vanilla ice cream with whipped cream on top and a spritz of cherry sauce or something.

I sat for a while after that too, then got the bill.  They brought it out with a bowl full of those little candy looking things and a shot of what I think was mango juice.  They also brought my leftovers out in a to go bag.

So, let's recap.  The plate of the day:
1) papadams
2) tidbits plate
3) chicken/shrimp/lamb curry/korma/whatever
4) basmati or naan
5) coffee or ice cream

Cost: 12.95 Euros.  Drinks were separate.  My bottled mineral water was 1.80 Euros.  

Total Cost was under 15 Euros.

I may go back in a few days!

No comments: