Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Abayas

I remember when I first saw the university here, I wondered about the ramps everywhere. Some are a bit steep for a wheel-chair or not really level at all. Well, I finally figured out what they're for – they're for women in abayas. Some women wear short abayas that only fall to their shoes, but most women here wear floor length flowing abayas. I wore mine to the hafla at the university, and let me tell you it is not easy to walk in one of those. When you go up or down stairs you have to lift it up, which shows too much leg, so you can take the ramps instead. You also have to walk slowly in them. I normally walk fast, but when I tried I kept stepping on the abaya. You have to walk slowly and kind of kick out when you walk, so that you don't step on the abaya. It's a skill I had not anticipated needing.

No comments: