Sunday, July 13, 2008

Random Thoughts

At our first hotel in Muscat, the Naseem, the elevator didn't work so we had to use the stairs. I was on the 3rd floor, which translates to 3 flights, since the bottom floor is not the 1st floor but the ground floor. That I was expecting. But I didn't realize that in larger hotels, the bottom floor is the ground floor, and the one above that is the mezzanine floor. Then above that is the 1st floor. My room in Haffa House in Salalah is on the 1st floor, so when we arrived I took the stairs to the first floor, and started looking for my room. The rooms had similar numbers, for example, I'm in 1xx, and the rooms were labelled 11xx, so I thought I was on the correct floor – nope, it was the mezzanine floor where they have flats and offices.

The hotels we've stayed at only had one key. It wasn't a big deal at the Naseem, because there was a push button lock on the door. But at the Haffa House, you need a key to lock/unlock the door. So if you want to lock the room, from the inside or outside, you need a key to do that. There is a chain, but that doesn't help if your roommate is out late. You have to leave the door unlocked so that she can get in without waking you up. Unless you want to be locked in the room all evening until she comes back with the key – which is kind of a fire hazard.

Just as a side note, on the first Sunday in Salalah, I sprained my ankle. I didn't mention it before because the diarrhea made me forget it ;) This one wasn't a serious sprain, I could still walk on it. But it's been about 2 semesters since it last happened, so I guess I was due. Oh well.

No comments: