Thursday, July 10, 2008

Steppin' Out!

I finally went out last night! A group of us (8) had supper at a Lebanese restaurant called Baalbeck. It was really good. We just got several dishes and shared them all. I hadn't realized there's a 2nd eggplant dish – not just baba ganoush but another one with a smoky taste (mutabada?). Personally, I prefer hommus. This Lebanese place also had the first actual napkins that I've seen in Oman. I have seen cloth napkins at a really fancy place, but other than that everyone uses tissues. This place had those little bitty napkins in a dispenser. I also have yet to see a menu that has the English spelled correctly. It's rather amusing. Even lecturers using PowerPoint don't always have things spelled correctly! This Lebanese place had the best so far though, a juice called pommel grenade (we assumed that meant pomegranate). I really liked the Kebab Halabi. This one wasn't as tomatoey as the other I tried, and had whole meat instead of minced. Mumtaz!!!

No comments: