Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More First Day1

When we ate at midnight, it was 37C. At breakfast it was 39C. Mid-afternoon was 41C. That sucks. The shops here do close from 1-4pm for the heat. I'm not sure if that's year-round or just a summer thing. People are up really late in this area, eating and shopping. The tailor by our hotel was still open at 1:30 am last night (this morning?).

We found a great place to eat. It's a restaurant on the 2nd floor, by the entrance to the souk. It's called Nice View Restaurant, and it's run by some Syrians. Most of the other restaurants we've seen are run by Indians, and they don't always speak Arabic, so we may frequent this place for a while so we can practice Arabic. Also, the view is nice, there's a little fan/AC unit (this is all open-air terrace), and the food's okay too. It's a good price, and the mango and lime-mint juices were really good! I'm starting to get into mango juice.

The souk was fabulous!!!! The souk I went to in Dubai was mainly the Gold Souk, and it was pretty neat, but I haven't really been to a regular souk in a long long time. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. It's very long and narrow, but some of the shops are quite big on the inside. There's one main artery, which forks, and there are some smaller passages all along the big arteries. Everyone wants to sell you a pashmina and frankincense. They also have Iranian saffron. I found some cool stuff for myself and bought some gifts. I won't giveaway the gifts, but as for me, I got a heavy silver necklace, a turquoise and silver ring (cheaper than Albuquerque), and a camel incense holder with fake jewels in it. I really will try to upload some pictures soon. So far I haven't had much Internet access.

(Apparently the souk is not nearly as big as Cairo or Damascus, but I love it!)

No comments: